Friday, April 3, 2009

Poetrilogy

Though this will likely not be the general theme of this blog, I want to start of with something I think is important... a good number of my female friends have trouble finding men that fit their standards, and get tired of waiting for the right guy. I've seen too many girls go for idiots just because that idiot showed some interest.

I've also seen too many guys find a woman who is worth all the trouble in the world, but because they lack confidence, or determination, or... something, they don't act. I have been one of these guys.

So I did one of the only things I know how to do moderately well. I wrote. This trilogy of poems (if you want to save yourself some time) boils down to this: Women, you are valuable. Don't settle for anyone who doesn't treat you like you're beautiful. Men, man up. Let the woman you love know she's worth something to you, and treat her accordingly.


To Those Who Wait
There's a story of a Princess, fairer than she thought to see,
who, when finding not a suitor, gave her heart too willingly.
Here the Princess dropped her standards so at least one Prince would pass,
thus each Prince she found was lacking, like one slipper made of glass.

And the Princess, tired of waiting for the man that she could love
had forgot that solemn promise, "One fine day your Prince will come".
So the first to pass her tower was the first to whom she ran,
but to treat her as a Princess never was the Jesters plan.

Swears't I now to you, oh Princess, though you've seen it not before,
when the right Prince comes to find you, you'll be found worth fighting for.
Though, dear Princess, it may seem like love brings not to you but pain,
the valor of the Prince will surely match the value of the Dame.




Tragic Prince
There once was a beautiful Princess
who lived in the kingdoms of old.
Her eyes were as clear as the ocean,
her hair was as brilliant as gold.

Her beauty was rivaled by no one,
no maiden from far or from wide.
Though many knights jousted to win her,
too often their ambition died.

I was a Prince who could see her
as anything more than a prize.
I knew I should try to romance her,
but in action I wasn't so wise.

Well, the Princess ascended her tower,
and it was from there that she reigned.
The dragon and moat could protect her,
but her beauty could not be contained.

I was as dashing and charming
as any Prince ever could be,
but dashing's for naught without daring,
and valor just isn't in me.

So I watched as a man climbed her tower,
took her far from my tortured sight,
and I pray they happ'ly for ever.
I pray that she's found her white knight.




In Time
It was in the tower window I saw her,
that Princess for whom all men sought.
Though the odds were not near in my favor,
it was for her favor I fought.

Though many knights jousted to win her,
I thirsted to win her applause,
I'd vanquish her foes the world over
with only her love as my cause.

The tourney had only just ended,
victorious, I called to her tower,
"Dear Princess, I'd fight on for ages
to see you for only an hour."

Quickly, smoke billowed out of the mountains,
and a monster rose up to the skies.
It circled her tower and stopped me
with the fire of Hell in its eyes.

I cried, "Demon! How dare you delay me?"
as it screamed forth a fiery blast.
I yelled, "It is now that we end this!
You have chosen this day as your last!"

Its heart felt my sword in a moment,
and I climbed to the one I adore,
and I swore I would love and protect her
for now, and forever, and more.


They say that home is where the heart is. I don't really have a heart, so it seems that I don't have a home. When that day comes that I finally find the woman who has my heart, I'll know I'm home, and I will never leave.

1 comment:

  1. to those who wait was written in a journal you gave me long ago. i read it almost weekly when you weren't around to keep my emotional head straight. thank you for that. it kept me out of a lot more trouble than i got myself into...and now look at me. with someone who actually fits me and cares for me completely. i guess you did know what you were talking about, just like you said. see you soon my jacob brother.

    ReplyDelete